Welcome to the NuFund Education Series Archive
PLEASE NOTE: the password for videos from March 22, 2022-forward is nufund2022. For earlier videos in 2022, the password is tcasd2022. For videos from 2021 it is tcasd2021, 2020 is tcasd2020, and 2019 is tcasd2019.
The latest Membership Quick Start Guide can be downloaded HERE.
An introduction to cryptocurrency, NFTs, blockchain technology, and how the IRS is addressing the tax implications of these investments and transactions.
Pre-seed portfolio construction and diligence with Jeff Pomeranz and Dave Lambert, Managing Directors at Right Side Capital Management.
February 22, 2022 – Watch Video: Launchpad Showcase
A showcase of startups from SDSU’s Launchpad program.
Replay of our wine tasting session. Use code TECH at Amitié Wines for a 10% discount and free shipping.
Download flier with recommended pairings.
December 9th, 2021 – Watch Video: Fintech Market Trends and Opportunities for Investors
TCA-SD members Sonia Steinway & Michael Wilson, with Derek Colla of Cooley, discuss trends in the Fintech market that indicate opportunities for angel investors.
December 1st, 2021 – Watch Video: TCA-SD Town Hall
A strategy meeting to discuss the rebranding of TCA-SD.
November 18th, 2021 – Watch Video: Opportunities for Investment in Femtech and FemAging
An introduction to the rapidly-growing Femtech space by the FemAging Project, focusing on the unique health and wellness needs of women ages 40 and over and the opportunities available to early investors into this market.
November 10th, 2021 – Watch Video: Power Hour Company Showcase with UCSD’s The Basement Incubator
A selection of companies from UCSD’s The Basement incubator pitch their companies to TCA membership.
Mike has been practicing law in the Silicon Valley arena for over 25 years; half at companies such as Commerce One, Yahoo!, Salesforce and Krux Digital (where he was the Chief Legal Officer), and the later half in his own practice.
His practice consists of corporate work (formations, financings & M&A transactions) and commercial transactions between tech companies, as well as business succession planning and estate planning for select clients.
Prior to his legal career, Mike served as an Officer on a nuclear submarine here in San Diego.
October 12th, 2021 – Watch Video: TCA-SD Virtual Cheese and Wine Tasting Party
A curated tasting with an expert cheesemonger from Venissimo Cheese
paired with a selection by Amitié Wines
This annual Angel Investing seminar for members-only has been rebooted with updated content, statistics and new speakers. However, the primary audience is new-ish TCA members and angel investors seeking orientation to the group and the asset class. The first section will focus on general angel investing themes. We focus on how TCA-SD works in the second section, and conclude with an expert panel of attorneys discussing deal structure.
Introduction to Angel Investing including groups, syndicates, performance, evaluating opportunities and valuation methodology, and Post-Investment including board management, reporting, exits and case studies (download slides)
Deal Structure panel w/ Coeptus Law, Cooley and Dentons:
September 23rd, 2021 – Watch Video: How to Pick a Winning Horse (in Startup Investment)
Rob Neville of Springbok Ventures & Former CEO of Savara Pharmaceuticals provides perspective and advice on startup investing, including a discussion on why startups fail and commentary on conventional angel investing wisdom.
July 28th, 2021 – Watch Video: REC Startup Workshop
The TCA-SD REC Innovation LAB Startup Showcase gives four student startups the opportunity to pitch in front of TCA membership.
Amit Singh and Timothy Santoli answer tax questions from TCA members.
Tech Coast Angels “Lost Causes” Fund: Rid yourself of zombie company shares
June 30th, 2021 – Watch Video: ACE Fund 22 Overview and ACE Fund 21 Annual Report
TCA-SD Executive Director Ashok Kamal and Board President Emeritus Dean Rosenberg discuss the changes implemented in this year’s ACE 22 Fund, and Dean gives a rundown of the ACE 21 Annual Report.
Download: ACE 22 Fund Overview
An educational presentation of the TCA 2020 Annual Report and Angel Analytics by John Harbison, TCA Board of Governors Chairman Emeritus.
Download: 2020 Annual Report
This week’s Power Hour features a presentation by Andrew Yacoub of Moss Adams on the potential investor implications of President Biden’s tax plan.
Download: Presentation Slides
May 20th, 2021 – Watch Video: Blockchain 101 with Jonah Peake of Startup San Diego
Startup San Diego’s Jonah Peake gives an overview of how blockchain technology actually works and novel blockchain applications that go beyond Bitcoin.
May 5th, 2021 – Watch Video: Unicorn Hunting in the Wild with Michael Weisman
TCA Member Michael Weisman recently had one of his portfolio companies become a coveted Unicorn ($1B+ valued company). Hear the story of how Mike discovered and invested in the seed round and his experiences Unicorn Hunting in the Wild.
Amit Singh and Timothy Santoli of Dentons provide an overview of several areas of tax law of interest to angel investors, including:
Federal Tax Incentives for Angel Investors
- IRC§1202 – Qualified Small Business Stock (QSBS) Gain Exclusion
- IRC§1045 – Tax Deferred QSBS Gain Rollover
- IRC§1244 – Ordinary Loss Treatment of QSBS Losses
Typical Investment Structures for Angel Investments
- Stock (Typically Preferred Stock)
- Convertible Notes (with or without Warrants)
- Simple Agreements for Future Equity (SAFEs)
April 13th, 2021 – Watch Video: TCA Cocktail Hour with Chef Jenn Felmley
Chef Jenn Felmley leads us in preparing two cocktails – Pomegranate Orange Blossom and Fizz Cucumber Lime Spritzer.
Links mentioned in the video:
April 7th, 2021 – Watch Video: Cap Table Management & Tools with Carta
Kelley Bontemps of Carta presents a primer on cap tables – why they’re important for all stages of startups, how investors look at cap tables, how to tell a “good” cap table from a “bad” one – and gives a rundown on tools available to help manage them from Carta, the industry leader in cap table management software.
More Carta Resources:
March 24th, 2021 – Watch Video: CONNECT Pre-Seed Cool Company Showcase
Our second CONNECT Cool Company Showcase, this time focused on pre-seed deals (by popular demand).
See quick pitches from four pre-seed Cool Companies from San Diego: Believe Health, Biocanic, esguard.io, and Savviest. Follow the new #Pre-SeedInterestGroup Flock channel for more discussion and opportunities.
Speakers from San Diego Imperial County Community Colleges, SDSU Lavin Center and San Diego Miramar College discuss opportunities to work with students, including mentoring and funding small-scale pre-seed deals originating from entrepreneurship programs at these schools. We’ll be launching a Flock channel to present these opportunities to members soon.
Brian Dirkmaat of Coeptus Law and TCA’s Dean Rosenberg covering everything you need to know about SAFEs, Notes & Series Seed deal structure.
February 18th, 2021 – Watch Video: A Framework for Investing in Pre-Seed Deals with Neal Bloom
Neal Bloom (Fresh Brewed Tech/Startup Ecosystem Maven/TCA Member) provides best practices for sourcing, evaluating, and funding pre-seed deals.
February 9th, 2021 – Watch Video: TCA Virtual Dinner Party Featuring Natasha Feldman
TCA’s second Virtual Dinner Party featuring Natasha Feldman from Nosh with Tosh. Apple Cider Pork Chops (or Beyond Veggie Bratwurst) with Crispy Potatos and Bistro Salad
Download slides: Recipe Cards
TCA members Nii Ahene, Al Bsharah, Alessandra Lezama, Dean Rosenberg, Tim Rout and Mike Wilson share their experiences successfully selling their startups and becoming angel investors.
TCA Executive Director Ashok Kamal joins Osage Univeristy Partners and SOSV/IndieBio for a webinar discussing models, structures, and best practices in raising pre-seed and seed funding for university startup companies from angels and accelerators. A panel of experts will review their own models, which are distinct from each other in both the areas in which they invest as well as the additional value they provide. Other topics covered include raising pre-seed and seed amounts, timing and structures for the raises, how to meet with these types of investors, the roles potentially played by these investors with the startups, and much more.
Download slides: Angel & Accelerator Funding for University Startups
TCA Member Amy Chang discusses her experience as an Angel Investor, cataloging the mistakes, missteps, and successes she’s experienced as well as the fun she’s had along the way.
Megan Arthur Schilling and Kristin O’Hanlon of Cooley provide a board-level presentation on how equity compensation can be a critical component to a startup company’s ability to attract, retain and incentivize key talent.
Download slides: Stock Options and Other Equity Compensation
Jack Florio and Channing Hamlet of Objective Capital Partners share a playbook for helping your investments achieve liquidity and increasing your ROI
Download slides: Preparing Companies for M&A and Exits
October 28, 2020 – Watch Video: SPACs – A Primer with Allison Handy of Perkins Coie
What the SPAC!? Learn about the latest IPO-alternative for companies to go public and generate liqudity. The presentation will be led by Allison Handy of Perkins Coie’s SPAC group based in Seattle.
Download slides: SPACs – A Primer
October 22, 2020 – Watch Video: Series Seed Financing Structure with Brian Dirkmaat of Coeptus
Download slides: Series Seed Financing Structure
Power Hour talking Pro Rata Rights (what are they, why are they super important, how to get them) with the CEO of Assure, our ACE 21 Fund manager and the leading back-end software platform for managing funds.
October 13, 2020 – Watch Video: October TCA Dinner – Nosh with Tash
TCA’s first virtual group dinner featuring guest chef Natasha Feldman providing a live cooking class.
Complete Recipe and Instructions: https://nufund.com/nosh-with-tash-tca-dinner-recipe/
Natasha’s web series: Nosh with Tash
October 7, 2020 – Watch Video: Power Hour with TCA Chairman Emeritus Dave Berkus
TCA Chairman Emeritus Dave Berkus and Dean, sharing Portfolio War Stories: Lessons Learned from a General, discussing the wins and losses over an epic career in angel investing.
Dave’s books on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Berkonomics-Dave-Berkus/dp/0557143276
Berkonomics blog: https://berkonomics.com
Ascent Private Capital Management’s Jonathan Miles leads a panel on Modern Family Office best practices, with TCA President Caitlin Wege and TCA Member Nidhi Tanti
Download Slides: The Family Office Enterprise
Tech publicist John McCartney of JMAC PR discusses best practices for startups
Download Slides: Best Public Relations Practices for Startups
JMAC’s Recommended PR Tech Tools:
September 16, 2020 – Watch Video: TCA Power Hour with Kim Folsom of Founders First
Kim Folsom, CEO of Founders First Capital Partners, explains what “Zebra” companies are, and discusses alternative funding strategies for growing startups.
Read more about on Kim and her $100M fund in this TechCrunch article.
Michael Umansky and Jason Jones from Sheppard Mullin provide an “Introduction to Cap Tables,” one of the key – and most misunderstood – due diligence considerations for any investment. Follow along referencing the attached deck and worksheet (but the lawyers will do the math for you this time!).
September 2, 2020 – Watch Video: TCA Power Hour with Brad Chisum of Launch Factory
TCA-SD member and founder of Launch Factory, Brad Chisum, will share the story of how he sold his last startup, Lumedyne, to Google, and his lessons on an exit that can be instructive to all angel investors.
August 19, 2020 – Watch Video: TCA ACE Fund 21 Orientation Session 2
An introduction to this year’s ACE Fund 21, covering changes to fund operation, a guide for new investors, and answers to member questions. (Same concept as August 6th Power Hour if you missed the first one)
A Q&A with TCA sponsors Bill Leversee and Mike Tanghe, covering member questions about aspects of insurance coverage, including D&O, Homeowner, Commercial, Personal Liability, deductibles, and rising premiums.
TCA Member and former trader Agustin Lebron discussing quant finance, trading strategies, and public market analytics.
Agustin’s book recommendations:
An important discussion led by Shavon Lindley, CEO of ion Learning, and Dr. Paul Minifee of SDSU, facilitating a conversation and exercise about “The Enlightened Angel: Inclusive Investing and Management in Tech,” how to help portfolio companies succeed with diverse cultures during challening times.
July 22, 2020 – Watch Video: Power Hour Live Podcast with Tacos & Tech
The Tacos & Tech podcast, hosted by TCA member, Neal Bloom, records a live episode during the TCA Power Hour with special co-host TCA-SD Executive Director Ashok Kamal and guests Rasto Ivanic of TCA portfolio company GroupSolver, TCA Member Al Bsharah, and TCA member & founder of TOOTRiS Alessandra Lezama.
- For resources discussed in video, please visit https://www.cooleygo.com
- Dean and Ashok present the ACE Fund 20 annual report and discuss the launch of ACE Fund 21
- Download ACE 20 Annual Report
June 24, 2020 – Watch Video: Women In Angel Investing Panel 2020
- TCA members Victoria Lakers, Caitlin Wege, Rose Thiessen, Amy Chang and Aniqa Hijzai highlight their journeys to become angel investors.
June 24, 2020 – Watch Video: Power Hour with Rick Timmins of the ACA
- Summary presentation of the Angel Capital Association’s COVID-19 pandemic survey
- Download Slides
- Kevin Dusi and Bruce Knowlton of Moss Adams help clarify the ramifications of the recent PPP Flexibility Act for the startup community.
- Download Slides
June 17, 2020 – Watch Video: Power Hour with Neal Bloom and Caitlin Wege of TCA
- Neal discusses his history with NASA launching rockets, fields technical questions about spacecraft, and discusses future investing prospects for various aspects of the space industry
- Download Slides
- Kevin and Dean discuss investing in LLCs vs C-Corps
- Russ, Clark and Dean discuss public market equity strategies during the Covidconomy
May 29, 2020 – Angel Investing with #TCAToday Seminar
- Watch Video; Introduction to Angel Investing with Dean Rosenberg of TCA
- Groups, syndicates, performance, evaluating opportunities and valuation methodology
- Download Slides
- Watch Video: Post-Investment – Board Management, Reporting, and Exits
- Watch Video: Angel Deal Structure (slides for individual sections below)
- Watch Video: Protecting Your IP with Mike Fuller of Knobbe Martens
- Watch Video: Introduction to TCA Today with Ashok Kamal and Dean Rosenberg of TCA
- Screening, due diligence, closing deals and Annual Funds
- Download Slides
- Watch Video: TCA Case Studies and Outcomes
- Ned shares the story of building Zentalis and taking it public in the first-ever Virtual IPO, resulting in a billion dollar plus valuation
- Download Slides
The password for videos below this point is: tcasd2019
- Download Slides
- December 2021 cliff notes by Joe Gatto of SeedFolio:
There are three federal tax breaks to be aware of for early stage investing (numbers refer to IRC, Internal Revenue Code, sections). As Jeff Koenig points out, state treatment varies (these breaks generally do not apply for CA state taxes). This will be a super short summary. You can Google to get all the details.
* 1202. QSBS held 5 years is exempt from capital gains (generally, the first $10m or 10x of gain only, but as the article points out, that can be gamed. the article covered “stacking” but did not cover “packing”. For more, Google: Withum stacking packing 1202). Also Biden’s Build Back Better aimed to seriously cripple 1202. We can thank Manchin for an at least temporary stay.
* 1045. What if you invest in QSBS stock but have an early exit (more than 6 months holding but less than 5 years)? You can roll those gains into new QSBS stock investment(s) within 60 days and defer the gain. Further, if the second company has an exit and the cumulative holding time (for first company plus second company) exceeds 5 years, the gain is exempt.
* 1244. If you purchase some of the first $1m of QSBS stock offered in a company and experience a loss, you can treat the loss as an ordinary loss instead of a long term capital loss. Limited to $100k per couple filing jointly per year. Excess loss can roll forward. Trusts are not eligible for this benefit.
* As an important note, while you can find a few valiant arguments to the contrary on the internet, convertible notes and SAFEs (including the new post-money SAFE) are NOT QSBS stock and don’t receive QSBS treatment. If you invest in a note/safe, hold it for x years, and then converts to equity, it can be treated as QSBS only from that conversion day forward (assuming other QSBS requirements are met).
April 18, 2019 – Watch Video: Lessons Learned in Angel Investing Panel with TCA
- TCA members Bob Fried, Don Rady, Jeff Friedman, Melanie Spiegelman, Jay Kunin and Andy White discuss the big mistakes and bigger successes over a career of angel investing
October 24, 2017 – Watch Video: Board Essentials Workshop with Dave Berkus of TCA